225 – Focus with Patrick Lilly
Patrick Lilly wears many hats: successful New York City real estate broker, educator, transformational life coach, speaker, and world traveler. Curious by nature, Patrick likes to explore other ways of thinking, feeling, living and being, which ultimately allows him to serve his clients’ best interests.
Patrick has sold over 1,200 properties worth more than $1.35 billion worth of property in his 34-year career.
This strong sales success has resulted in many national honors, most notably the Keller Williams Pinnacle Award which is presented to just 20 exceptional agents across all North American firms. Additional distinctions include being named one of The Wall Street Journal’s Top 250 Agents in the nation and Inman’s 101 Most Influential Agents in North America. He was also featured in “The Billion Dollar Agent” by Steve Kantor.
Through his organization Real Estate Success Rocks, Patrick hosts an annual conference and a weekly podcast for agents. He is also the founder of Real Estate Vision (REV), an educational and networking group for top producing agents. Patrick is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars throughout the world. A consistent theme in his talks is the creation of practices that nurture both your soul and financial well-being.
After completing his BS in Psychology and Mathematics from Missouri State University, Patrick earned an MBA in Marketing and International Business from New York University. In 2007, he earned his life coaching credentials, which allows him to conduct transformational seminars throughout the world on discovering one’s essence and purpose in life.
Patrick divides his time between New York City, his weekend house in the Hudson Valley, and pursuing his passion of traveling the world.
In today’s episode, we talk about how to live in the present moment, exercising your focus and attention to improve concentration and your general life experience.
In this episode, you’ll learn..
- Two Factors: Mind and Awareness.
- The mind has a range of knowledge, emotions, beliefs, experiences; in short anything, you can think about.
- Awareness is where you place your attention or focus.
- Unfortunately, we allow other people and things to hijack our awareness through distractions.
- The art of concentration is keeping your awareness on one thing for an extended period of time.
- Another way to view that: Focus is being present in the now moment.
- How do you do that?
- Make a conscious commitment to your task or the one thing you want to focus on.
- Set a time-frame; 50 minutes is usually the maximum period, though it can be as short as a brief interaction with a co-worker.
- Eliminate distractions.
- When your mind wanders from its task, gently refocus your attention.
- If a specific distracting thought keeps reoccurring, keep a distraction sheet to write down the idea that keeps bubbling up. The act of writing down and making an intention to address it later should help.
- When your time period on interaction is up, step away and stop thinking about it. A brief period of exercise or an emotional connection will help you clear your focus so you can be present again.
- Just like any skill, practice makes you better. So you can practice focus throughout the day. Again, when your mind drifts, gently bring your awareness back.
- Nutrition, Exercise, and Meditation can all enhance your ability to focus.
- In essence, Focus = Being Present. A wise man said Boredom does not exist in the Now. If you are bored you are either in past or future moments.
- Life is a manifestation of where your energy is flowing. If you cannot concentrate your energy, what you want to manifest will become very challenging.
Links and resources mentioned in this episode.
To subscribe and rate & review visit one of the platforms below:
Follow Real Estate Success Rocks on: